We happily finished a very inspiring and productive 7 day residency at ART SPACE stift millstatt, focused on Chris Leuenberger's research project Breath Portraits.
The week consisted of
- research sessions / practice focused on breath in the studio
- filming for a Breath Portrait video at outdoor locations in Millstatt
- researching and developing a version for a live solo performance based on Chris' method of working
Next to that, we also had the pleasure to follow Brigitte Büsken's workshop focused on breathing, which gave us the chance to reflect on our work from another point of view.
On the 16th of September, in the frame of in: formal, we had a public sharing of the outcomes of our research week
- a live solo performed by Maria Mavridou
- a rough edit of our latest video footage from Millstat
- as well as the 5 already edited breath portrait videos featuring Lea Martini, Anna Röthlisberger, Matthew Rogers, Saadet Türköz and Cosima Grand, which were created earlier this summer, between June-July 2018.
Our original plan to develop a video installation of the 6 Breath Portraits was not realized, due to some technical difficulties as well as further reflection on what would be the best way to share these videos with the public in the frame of in:formal.
Instead of an installation, we did a simple presentation with a beamer, combined with sharing information with regards to the working method and the various experiences of Chris collaborating with different artists, which we felt were worth sharing.
Thank you very much to everyone who attended and gave us feedback!
The near future plan of this project is to present a video installation of the 7 Breath Portraits (including Chris Leuenberger's Breath Portrait (at the moment under construction)
For the long term future the desire is to develop a stage version of a breath piece with several performers.
We would like to thank Andrea K. Schlehwein and büro für tanz| theater | produktionen for offering the space and support!
Brigitte, Ewald and Angelika for giving us valuable help during the presentation night. Roman for his important long distance help on technical matters.
With big thanks as well to Arc artist residency - ein Institut des Migros-Kulturprozent, Atelierhaus Prenzlauer Promenade Berlin, Dampfzentrale Bern, Kultur Stadt Bern, Kultur Kanton Bern
as well as Sonja Augart, Anneli Binder, Sally De Kunst, Jésus Queijas / La Maison du Prieur Romainmôtier.